Do I Need Breast Revision Surgery?
- Posted on: Sep 30 2020
As much as we wish that every person’s breast implant surgery went perfectly, we realize that this isn’t a guarantee. Fortunately, complications after breast enhancement are uncommon but they can occur at any time. Some patients have a sense that they may need breast revision but don’t exhibit severe signs of such complications. Here, we discuss some of the common reasons for revision breast surgery to help you determine if this is something you may need or want.
Reasons for Breast Revision Surgery include:
- Capsular contracture. After a breast implant is inserted into an envelope of tissue, a thin capsule of fibrous tissue forms around it. In most cases, this capsule remains soft enough to maintain a natural look and feel. Sometimes, the fibrous capsule gets too thick and rigid. A form of scar tissue, the capsule may then begin to contract, or tighten, around one or both implants. This can lead to discomfort and deformity of the breast.
- Wrinkling or rippling. This problem is normally associated with over-the-muscle placement, though it can occur when a patient has very little natural breast tissue or chooses breast implants that are too large.
- Leaking or rupture of one or both implants. Modern implants are carefully manufactured to secure the gelatinous silicone or saline within one or more silicone shells. A leak or rupture of a saline implant will cause noticeable deflation. Silicone implant leak or rupture may only be detected during routine MRI imaging, which is recommended for all people with breast implants.
- Generally poor appearance. There are a few different ways in which the cosmetic appeal of breast implants may be degraded. This can occur immediately or over time. Some of the cosmetic reasons why patients seek revision breast surgery include asymmetry, tight or thin skin over the breasts, incorrect nipple placement, and poor shape. One of the most common reasons for breast implant revision is that a patient wants either larger or smaller implants.
Breast Implant Revision Surgery Offers Several Benefits
While it may feel frustrating to need another breast surgery, revision procedures offer benefits such as:
- Perkier, fuller, younger-looking breasts
- Improved comfort
- Improved confidence
- Improved ability to wear preferred styles of clothing
Posted in: Breast Revision