Marionette Lines: How to Treat Them and Prevent Them
- Posted on: Jun 30 2018
The lines that develop around the mouth are no laughing matter. Concerns such as nasolabial folds, which run from nose to mouth, and marionette lines, which run from mouth to chin, are a common problem for men and women affected by the aging process. As the skin progressively loses elasticity and volume from the fat pads beneath the skin depletes, these lines only get worse. Here, we discuss how existing marionette lines can be treated. We also suggest a few tips for preventing these frustrating creases.
Treatments for Marionette Lines
If you’ve already begun to notice the deepening of lines around your mouth, the best course of action is to correct them with appropriate cosmetic treatment. In our San Antonio office, this may involve:
- Laser skin treatments. Laser therapies are advantageous because they can rapidly increase cellular turnover within the most superficial layers of skin. Laser skin resurfacing also supports ongoing collagen production, which is vital to skin firmness as we age.
- Dermal fillers. Soft filler products containing ingredients like hyaluronic acid are the most common remedy for marionette lines and other types of wrinkles. Treatment is quick and convenient. Comfort is secured by the inclusion of numbing medication within most filler products. Dermal fillers temporarily erase marionette lines by drawing water molecules into the subdermal tissue beneath the crease. Retreatment may be obtained every 9 to 24 months.
- Surgical lifting may be necessary to reduce the appearance of severe marionette lines. A facelift involves small incisions in the ear area through which tissue is repositioned for a smoother, tighter appearance.
Preventing Marionette Lines
The best way to treat marionette lines is to support aging skin. The earlier good habits begin, the better skin will age. We suggest:
- Learn to sleep on your back. Studies have shown that side and stomach sleepers are more prone to facial wrinkles. As you learn to sleep on your back, use a silk or satin pillow that clings less to your skin.
- Use sunscreen. This should be a no-brainer, but it really isn’t; not yet. Broad-spectrum sunscreen use is one of the best ways to prevent premature aging.
- Stop smoking. Research has indicated that cigarette smoking causes collagen in the body to deteriorate. Smoking also inhibits healthy future collagen production, so is tied to premature aging.
- Use quality skincare products. Medical-grade skin care contains proven ingredients in stronger concentrations to support aging skin.
- Stay hydrated. Water is a crucial element of skin resilience. Dehydrated skin is more prone to wrinkles and other damage.
The team in our San Antonio office can help you correct marionette lines and other signs of aging. Call 210-227-3223 to schedule your visit.
Posted in: Nonsurgical Cosmetic Enhancement