Expectations are Everything: What do you Know about Liposuction?
- Posted on: Dec 30 2019
Hundreds of thousands of liposuction procedures are performed annually in our country alone. In 2018, nearly 260,000 people gained better body contours through this cosmetic surgery. While there are a handful of nonsurgical options, none can measure up when it comes to the degree of improvement achieved. Due to its capabilities, liposuction continues to be considered by thousands of people. If you’re one of them, we want you to know the true details about this fat-reducing procedure.
- Fat reduction doesn’t mean weight loss. Liposuction is a body-contouring procedure. It is not a form of weight loss surgery. Patients who expect to see a lower number on their scale after liposuction are likely to be sorely disappointed. Instead of looking at weight, look in the mirror! Look at clothing size. Look at self-confidence.
- Liposuction results can last indefinitely. Liposuction doesn’t shrink fat cells, like some nonsurgical treatments; it removes them. Fat cells do not grow back. New fat cells do not grow. With healthy habits, patients can expect their slimmer shape to stay consistent.
- Liposuction can be performed on many different areas of the body, not just the stomach. Abdominal liposuction may be highly popular, but this procedure can also be used to sculpt the thighs, arms, neck, back, buttocks, and other areas.
- Many liposuction procedures can be conducted with a local anesthetic. Unless treating multiple areas at once or combining liposuction with a body lift procedure like a tummy tuck, general anesthesia is typically not necessary to sustain patient comfort.
- Recovery from liposuction is not nearly as uncomfortable as people imagine. For the initial recovery period, which can last 2 to 3 days, patients can maintain comfort with the pain medication prescribed by their surgeon. After that point, comfort is improved significantly enough for over-the-counter medication to be sufficient. Most patients are back to work and most normal activities within a week after liposuction.
- Complications such as skin irregularities are uncommon. It’s all too easy to find pictures and stories of plastic surgery gone wrong. Years ago, we had seen a flurry of images of celebs whose liposuction had left them lumpy. This is an example of someone not taking sufficient time to find an experienced plastic surgeon (perhaps one who would refuse their request for liposuction on an already thin body).
Liposuction is best performed by an experienced plastic surgeon. To learn more about this procedure and what it can do for you, call 210-227-3223.
Posted in: Liposuction